Booking now closed
PART 2: Councillor CPD 2 – Layout, streets and parking
Councillor Professional Development learning events
Drawing on the characteristics of well-designed places, as outlined in the recently published National Design Guide, this series of learning events will explore how we evaluate the design quality of major applications from the macro to the micro, focusing on 3 key areas:
- Landscape and green infrastructure
- Layout, streets and parking
- Architecture, materials and detailing
Each of the topics will include:
- A live one-hour introductory webinar
- Electronic resources and suggested further reading
- A follow up live one-hour online discussion
Councillor CPD 2: Layout, streets and parking
In part 1 of this online Councillor CPD learning event we hear from Dr Gillian Horn about her research into the schism between elite and popular taste, focused on volume-built houses, and discussed the key characteristics within the recently published National Design Guide pertaining to layout, streets and parking.
PART 2 – Councillor CPD 2: Layout, streets and parking
In part 2 we will explore how to evaluate the design quality of major applications in relation to layout, streets and parking.
Using the National Design Guide as a tool, we will discuss how to examine the design quality of major applications in relation to the following characteristics:
- Movement – accessible places for all which are easy to move around sustainably
- Uses – local services and facilities mixed and integrated within development
- Lifespan – places and buildings which are adaptable and made to last
- Dr Gillian Horn, Architect and Researcher
- Jade Huang, Architect and Design Advisor, Design South East
- Laura Lewis-Davies, Learning Manager, Design South East
- Date: Tuesday 22 September 2020
- Time: 6pm-7pm (login from 5:55pm for a 6pm start)
- Location: Online – We will be using Zoom as the online conferencing platform
This series of online learning events is available to Kent-based Councillors only.
Places are limited and bookings will be taken on a first come first served basis. Once the webinar is full any additional names will be added to the waiting list.
If you attend Part 1 of the programme you will automatically be booked onto Part 2.
If you miss Part 1 but would like to book onto Part 2, please RSVP to the central Kent Design email address email@example.com with the following details:
- Your name
- Your Kent local authority
- Confirmation that you can access Zoom through a work or personal device
You will be sent the first webinar to watch again, as well as login details to access the resources.
Please note: Booking is only open for the learning event, Layout, streets and parking.
The full Kent Design 20/21 programme can be found here: http://www.kentdesign.org/2020/05/01/new-202021-programme/
Please note: Initially all events will be delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.