Swale Borough Council
Swale is located on the County’s north coast between Medway, Maidstone and Canterbury, around 45 miles from London. It includes the towns of Sittingbourne, Faversham and Sheerness, as well as an extensive rural hinterland which takes in the whole of the Isle of Sheppey and part of the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Borough covers an area of 140 square miles, roughly one-tenth of Kent, and is home to 139,200 residents.
The Council has agreed as a priority an aspiration for the regeneration of the swale area given the significant areas of historical manufacturing and economic decline. The Council is therefore working towards:
- a redeveloped town centre for Sittingbourne which acts as a catalyst for the wholesale
regeneration of the Town, fostering economic and cultural renewal;
- delivery of smaller-scale regeneration projects elsewhere in the Borough to improve the
appearance and facilities of our towns and villages;
- a borough in which the natural and built environments are respected, conserved, and
enhanced for future generations;
- a borough with a strong brand, which is recognised nationally and internationally for
its advantageous business environment and for its wealth of visitor attractions;
- a world-class multi-modal transport links which facilitate economic growth and enable
residents from across the Borough to take advantage of it.
The Planning Service is geared to enable and facilitate the ambitions above and prides itself on being open for business with those who wish to work in partnership with the Council to meet such objectives.
Head of Planning – James Freeman
Development Manager – Andrew Jeffers
Spatial Planning Manager – Gill Harris
Cabinet member for Planning – Councillor Gerry Lewin
Tel: 01622 602736